2 pounds boneless short ribs
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 cups beef broth
1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed
1/4 cup heavy cream or milk
8 ounces pasta
1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- Heat olive oil in cast iron pot until hot and add the short ribs to the pan and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes total.
- Remove meat and set aside. Add the onions, carrots and celery to the pan and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and tomato paste and cook for one minute. Deglaze pan with 1 one cup broth, and and then add remaining broth and crushed tomatoes.
- Bring everything to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, until the beef is falling apart tender, about 2-3 hours. You can also transfer the pot to the oven preheated to 275F/140C and cook until falling apart tender, about 3-4 hours.
- Once done, mix in the parmesan and cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as directed, toss with the sauce and enjoy topped with more parmesan